Passport Information

Passports are not required to get in and out of the International Peace Garden, but are the recommended form of identification.  If you do not already have a passport, you will need a birth certificate (everyone in the vehicle) and photo ID (if you are 16 or older) to return to your country of origin upon leaving IMC and the Peace Garden.  Each passenger in every vehicle are expected to present these documents.

This special exemption applies only to the Dunseith and Boissevain ports of entry.

Passports will be required for US citizens to travel to Canada and for Canadians to enter the US.

Please check for the latest information at or call the winter office (701-838-8472). It’s very important to be prepared, regardless of what you need in order to pass through Customs.  If you do need to apply for a new passport or passport card, please allow plenty of time!

Notice to Canadian Families from Canada Border Services Agency
When traveling to and from the International Peace Garden, while not required, a passport is the preferred form of identification to expedite your processing when re-entering Canada. Visiting the International Peace Garden does constitute exiting Canada and proper I.D. must be presented to gain re-entry. For more information visit the Canada Border Services Agency website: or call Border Information Service Line at 1-800-461-9999 (from within Canada) 1-204-983-3500 or 1-506-636-5064 (from outside Canada)